Monday, June 26, 2006

Marriage Records Found: Family History 2

I started doing family research a number of years before the big Internet boom when every organization starting putting up web sites and "dot-com" was not commonly seen on the sides of trucks or on billboards. Looking back over these years, it amazes me at how much the Internet has impacted the work of genealogists. I have a few personal stories. Here is the latest:

2 pairs of my great-grandparents were immigrants from Ukraine (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire). They got married in the New World near the beginning of the 20th Century. I've known the cities where they were married for quite some time, but for some reason, never contacted those municipalities about getting copies of their marriage records, which never had. It turns out that both areas have searchable indexes of older marriages online (Rochester, NY : Manitoba, Canada). Quite easily I was able to find references for both marriages. I printed out the online forms, wrote checks, and sent away for copies of both records. Just the other day I was delighted to receive a marriage record in the mail from Rochester, NY! What a nice feeling to add a few missing pieces to the family history puzzle.
Here's the document that I received:

No comments:

Post a Comment