Friday, June 23, 2006

Family History 1


I'm really into researching my family history. I'll start documenting some of the research I've done on my Ukrainian side.

My great Anna Yanyk, who was a 1913 teenaged immigrant from Ukraine to Canada (and then the US), wrote letters back and forth to her sister Donya and a friend in her home village. My family is thankful to have about 10 of the letters she received, mostly from the 1960s. No one knows when she started writing letters or even that she was staying in touch with relatives in Ukraine. Anna died in 1969. Letters were in a trunk among other articles like her green card, her school report card and baptism paper, and my great-grandpa's straight razor and eyeglasses.

This photo was sent from Ukraine in 1965 to Anna Sokoliuk (nee Yanyk) in Detroit. Nastya Korolik, standing on the left, was the letter writer. "Big Marina" is on the right. Both were neighbors from Anna's home village.

3 comments:

  1. That's fabulous that you have those letters and photographs. Was the trunk an old travel trunk from Ukraine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Marsha. Yes, we feel lucky to have these things. I do not believe the trunk was the one she traveled with from Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 PM

    My surname is originally YANYK, now Yanick, and I'm the first generation son of a Stanley Yanyk and three sons who emigrated to Canada (Olha, Manitoba)in 1894! Since then the Yanicks have grown to a huge 1700 or so with extended names of YOUNG and others in Canada! We must be related in some manner and would enjoy hearing from anyone who thinks we have anything in common!

    ReplyDelete